Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Copenhagen Denmark

Last summer I had the pleasure to travel on a cruise to the Baltics. One of my favorite places that I went to is Copenhagen, Denmark. Here are some reasons why you should put Copenhagen at the top of your travel spot list.

Copenhagen is the capital city of Denmark. It is also home to the world's most popular bicycle path with 36,000 people using it every day. There is also one of the longest shopping streets in the world, Strøget.  The Danish are known to be the happiest people on Earth. Copenhagen is also home to the world famous amusement park, Tivoli Gardens.

Tivoli Gardens opened in the 18th century. In 2012 it was the 2nd most popular park in the world and is the 2nd oldest amusement park in the world! There is actually a ride there that has been there for 100 years!  The park opened in 1843. People in Copenhagen are very proud to have Tivoli in their home town. While we were there, we went on some rides including, the Rollercoaster,  The Spinning Tops, The Mine, The Bumper Cars, and The Galley Ships. In my opinion, The Galley Ships is not a fun ride to go on if you are a tween but, if you have a younger brother or sister, he or she would enjoy it. If you are older, I recommend The Spinning Tops and The Mine.
Map of Tivoli Gardens (Curtesy of Themeparkbrochures.net)

























My brother and I on The Rollercoaster at Tivoli (Picture by me)
Tivoli Gardens in the Rain (Picture by me)
Copenhagen is home to the world's most popular bicycle path. When Danish people start riding their bikes, they become speed demons. They normally will not stop for pedestrians crossing the street. People in Copenhagen are known to ride fast, so beware when you pass a bike lane.

If you are wondering what to eat in Copenhagen, I recommend "sausage wagon" aka a hot dog. Danish hotdogs are one of the best hotdogs from around the world. They have hotdog carts all around Copenhagen. The market food in Copenhagen is also something you should try. Torvehallerne was Copenhagen's first covered food market. Some great foods you can try there are cheeses, smoked fish, and craft beer.
My brother and I eating Hotdogs in Copenhagen (Picture by me)
With amazing food, great biking, and an amazing amusement park, you think Copenhagen can't get any better? Well, Copenhagen also has one of the longest shopping streets in the world, Strøget. Strøget contains many American shops and many locals too. There is also a Starbucks at the end of the street. At a normal walking speed, Strøget takes about 12-15 minutes to walk through the whole street without stopping.

If you don't have much time, I highly recommend the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour. My family did the Grand Tour of Copenhagen. The tour was three hours. The tour starts at Town Hall Square, one of the centers of activity for Copenhageners. Next, you stroll down the small cobble-stoned streets of medieval Copenhagen. From there, you walk to Nyhavn, the wonderful colorful harbor front, where Copenhageners and visitors gather in the seaside cafes. From Nyhavn, you walk to Amalien Palace, the home of the oldest Royal Family in the world. We arrived just in time to see the changing of the guard. From the Palace, we walked to The Marble Churvh, and then back to Strøget.



Changing of the Guards (Picture by me)
My Mom and I at Nyhavn (Picture by me)

My brother and dad walking on Strøget (Picture by me)

Starbucks in Copenhagen (Picture by me)



I hope I gave you an idea on why you should travel to Copenhagen, Denmark. Most people who live in Copenhagen also speak English. I hoped you liked this week's theme! Hope to talk to you in my next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment